Fermin's Digital Portfolio

hello everybody

Saturday, January 16, 2010

This I Believe Essay

Universal Playlist
Fermin Hernandez  

To most people music helps them relax. To others, music helps them think out their problems, a way to help think out their problems. But to me, music is everything. It helps me get through my problems, helps me relax, and even helps me do my homework. There's not just one song that makes it better for me, there are millions of them for all occasions so I'm always listening to them. I can't live without listening to music, I even have to listen to music before I go to sleep or else I wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

 

Growing up, my parents didn't let me go out much with friends, they thought friends were just a distraction from school and adding to it, my godparents thought that way too, so it was more difficult for me to go out. But I didn't mind, I would always stay home and listen my to music from my radio at home. I listened to music because of how it sounds and its beats to back it up. Growing up I started to be interested in how music artists created their music, from the lyrics, to the beat that backed it up. Each song had something to say,  some with deeper meaning then others but there's still always a message. It always amazed me how these artists were able to express their beliefs about something that might be hatred towards something but it came out so beautifully in their song.

 

People always thought that I listened to music because I had nothing else to do, but it was the opposite. I had so many things to do but I would rather sit in my room and listen to different types of music. I was mostly into rap, hip-hop and other genres I like but not as much. Hip-hop from the 90's was what I actually enjoy the most because they actually had something to say in a poetic way that most people think is inappropriate. But if you get through all the foul language, you get the true meaning of it all, for example, Wu-Tang's song C.R.E.A.M. They talk about their struggle and what they went through to survive. They say what they believe and what they want people to know and understand. I always appreciated all their work, no matter if it was good or bad, they put effort into it, and I appreciate it by listening to it, and I understanding their meaning and what they're trying to say. 

 

I knew I wanted to pursue a career in music, but I was never good at anything having to do with music. So listening to it is what I'm sticking to... since I'm good at that. Although I knew listening to music wouldn't make my problems go away, I knew it would help me solve them because with many of the problems I go through in life, I find that an artist that has gone through them too. From getting through a break up, or losing someone special in my life, I knew I wasn’t alone and that made me get through these problems while being strong and knowing everything is going to be alright.  I was thankful to the many musical artist that were in the same situation like me because they helped my get through my problems.  

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment