Fermin's Digital Portfolio

hello everybody

Monday, May 24, 2010

Internship Blog

Blog # 6
Life After High School
1. How did you make a meaningful contribution to your workplace?
I feel like I made a meaningful contribution to High Tech Middle North County because I really connected with some students by helping them out and helping them solve their problems. Also, by making them POL worksheet to prepare for their POL's helped them understand what they needed to have on it. And that was a big plus since most of them were having trouble with it. Bus also doing my POL for them helped know how to structure their work and made them less stress about it and be able to relax.
2. How was your work as an intern meaningful to your education?
It was meaningful to my education because I learned new skills by being able to wok with them. For example, I learned to be more friendly to others and be able to connect with them more and help them out and for them not to be afraid to come up to me and ask for help. Which was my goal in the beginning of the internship which was accomplished.
3. What new appreciations did you develop while working as an intern? Why?
I learned to appreciate all the hard work that the teachers put into helping their students out. Before I didn't really know how much exactly teachers did for their students. But after attending more of the teacher meetings, I listened to what they wanted to do for their students it made me appreciate them more because their students are already a handful to take care of but the teachers still try more for them.
4. How might internship influence the direction of your life?
My internship at High Tech Middle North County really changed my decision for a future career. In the past, I wanted to work with animals and be a veterinarian. But after working with kids more I felt like I had a better connection with them and I felt happier helping them out. I was good with kids before but this really made me change my mind about
5. What qualities or characteristics did you see in the people around you that you want to develop in yourself?
A big skill that I wanted to develop for myself was just to work on being more outgoing since I am not like that. All the teachers here are outgoing and it's a quality that I need to work on since I want to work with kids for a career and I can't just be the way I am now. But I can say that it was improved working here since I had to make the first move each time when approaching students.

Blog # 5
How have you advocated for yourself during your internship, or seen advocacy demonstrated in other situations?
I should advocacy during my internship since I acted professional through out my time here. Since I worked with kids I had to act professional around them since if I didn't they wouldn't respect me and treat me like a teacher. I always came early in the morning when I was suppose to be at school and attended the morning meetings as well. I also got the class prepared because in the morning I would get the chairs ready for the students and after school I would help around the class and tidy up. I would also ask clarifying questions when I needed more help to understand something that I didn't get. Something else would be that I would always go and check work with my mentor about the POL so she can see the progress that I've made and talk about any other topic that needs to be talked about. There was never a day where I wasn't working my best and trying hard each day at my internship. Every day I cam prepared and ready to help out the students but as well learn more about the job at hand.
Blog # 4 Photo Essay Practice
This is part of the project that I'm doing for the middl school. I had to create questions for the students that will get them ready for their POL's. Mrs. Fisk was also helping me out on what questions to ask and then I worded the questions differently so the students can have an easier time understanding the questions.

Blog # 3
First Week Impressions:
My first week here at High Tech High Middle North County was great. I didn't have any problems with the kids or any of the work that they gave me to do. Everyone here gave me a warm welcome from the teachers to the students as well. I started to talk to most of the children and get to know them and how they are. All of the students have so much energy in them and so many ideas that I thrive off of them when I do my work around there. I didn't think I was going to enjoy my time since I never focused on working with kids. But after just one week here I might want to pursue a career with kids. The way that the HTMNC is the same way as the high school so I can say that the purpose of the school is one that works well for the students. A skill that I would need to work on would be communicating with some of the students since they still haven't talked to me or still aren't comfortable with me being there yet. So by doing this, the students can open up to me and won't be afraid to ask for help from me. I can't say that I dislike anything since everything is going well for me. Something that I can say that would be better is if the students wouldn't be afraid to ask me for help on anything. But I would guess that it would be something that I have to work on as well by talking to them more and communicating with them. What I like would be that I'm given sufficient amount of work to do and not too much where I would feel overwhelmed by any of it. Some other experience that I liked was that I was treated respectfully by all the students and didn't have any problems with them.

Blog # 2 Mentor Interview
Mentor: Samantha Fisk

Questions:

Please tell me a little about yourself,
  • From Cali. Love history, happy to teach middle school, first started to love history, 7 years teaching 10th graders, better to teach middle school due to process, love sports, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, love dogs, love teaching, most rewarding.
Why did you choose to work here?
  • big believer in project base learning through hands on curricular that revolves around them, enjoys the staff members, love to share ideas, there for you.
What skills or training is necessary for your position?
  • College degree, credential program as well, major after college, history major, take teaching test, student teaching, pass state regulate teacher test.
How did you acquire these skills? Through school? On the job?
  • through school mostly
What qualifications do employees need to be successful?
  • Love what you teach, be comfortable with who you are, enjoy helping students know what they're good at. Light goes on, realize what they can do, Patients, flexibility, not everything goes well, change things up a little bit, genuine respect
Do you consider a career in this area satisfying? In what ways?
  • Love it,
How important is getting along with other in this career?
  • Incredibly important, collaborate environment, teacher and staff work together, to help the students grow.
What have you gotten out of working here?
  • tons of joy, wonderful to see topics in history seen in new ways, everything is new again to her, so fascinating, seeing same materials through new eyes.
What are the main duties and responsibilities?
  • Provide safe and caring enivermet for students, helping them grow as learners, as citizens, being able to make information tangible to students, to teach humanities, teach x-block, sig, advisor, other projects with other staff members,
Do you find additional rewards beyond money in this career?
  • always,
What has been the hardest part of your job?
  • seeing students belittle themselves, all capable of success, not believing in themselves.
What advice do you have about working here?
  • To teach what you love
    What other career option did you have or want to do?
  • Archeologist.

    Third Day:
    Today, the teachers gathered again for another meeting to talk about important issues that were occurring in school. Most of the issues were resolved or in the process of getting better so that was good knowing that the students safety was being taken care of. In the morning in Ms. Fisk class students were going over their essay's introduction and conclusion. I offered help to those who wanted me to check their work. I was pleased that the students wanted me to check their work over to make sure there weren't any minor errors on their paper. Next period they had a teacher candidate so I was able to observe him and be able to see how well hoe worked with the children. In Mrs. Tobia's class they kept recording their videos from the day before which I was able to help by recording one of the groups since they were in need of some help. During lunch I was lucky enough to be invited to eat with the teachers which was a exciting since they had a large amount of food to go around for everyone which was nice since I got to converse with some teachers there. The following period I was able to take a break and work on the POL and DP checklist for the students. I got luckier for the next period and took another break for X-block and supervised a friendly game of hide and seek. A nice way to end another day at my internship at HTMNC.


    Second Day:
    Today I came in bright and early and ready to help out the kids. There was a meeting in the morning for the teachers to work out anything they need to work out. Right when it started we got split into groups of three or four and talked about what we thought the main ideas of how the school should be run like. Our main ideas were respect, responsibility. We then debriefed with the rest of the people in there and talked about it more in depth. After the meeting I started to get ready for the day ahead of me. The students had to write their introduction and conclusion for their essay. I went around helping each one of their work individually. Most of the students still haven't opened up to me for them to ask me for help but then again, it's just the second day. The second period they had to keep working on their biology videos where they present an informal news about the systems in the body. Most of them that I have seen have been very informative with a little bit of comedy to loosen it up a bit. The rest of the time was getting ready to present their work to the rest of the students in their exhibition. For the most part I was walking around talking to them trying to get them ready for the exhibition by asking them questions about their work and how they're going to present themselves during. In the end I was pleased with them since they carried themselves well and acted professional. I was happy that some of them took my advice on how to act and what to say. For the last part of the day I just worked on checking the students DP's to make sure it's made well and with no errors in them.



    First Day

    Blog # 1:What are you excited about learning through this internship experience?

    Today was my first day at my internship at High Tech Middle. At first I felt nervous since it was the first day. But as soon as I got there I felt welcomed by my mentor Ms. Fisk and her partner Mrs. Tobia. They both welcomed me and told me how the day would be class by class. When the students came in I felt even better since they were all excited to be in class and converse with each other. I felt the same way since they were all ready to learn. I felt great to be a part of their class since they all were young bright kids filled with ideas just bursting out of them. I got the chance to talk to most of the kids there and get to know them little by little. Today I was pretty much just getting to know the kids and help them out with anything they might of needed help with for their exhibition for tomorrow. I already have work to do to help out the kids set up and be prepared for the POL. I will be creating a checklist for them so they can know what they need to have on there digital Portfolios and be prepared. Also, I'll be doing my POL in their format so they can get a better understanding on how it should be and make them feel comfortable doing it.

    Something that I am excited about learning from this internship experience is just how teachers do their job. How they connect with their students and be able to push them to produce great work and just being there for them.

    1 comments:

    Alyssa Gabasan said...

    Hi fermin :) It sounds like you are having a really good time. I'm glad that the students are taking you seriously and asking you for help. Ms. Fisk must be so proud of you haha. Hope you had a good second week!

    Post a Comment